Wednesday, September 12, 2012
A Raisin in the Sun- Blog 2
In A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, the character of Beneatha gives me a feeling of disgust and hatred for an unreal person that I have never felt before. I dislike her attitude and her egoistic remarks more than anything. For example, when she has just learned about Ruth's pregnancy and Ruth has told her to mind her own business she replies with, "It is my business-where is he going to live, on the roof?" I understand that the Youngers had merely enough money to go around for the 5 of them and a 6th person would be overwhelming, but the way that Beneatha has took the news is ridiculous. Her shallowness shows completely throughout the entire story and it becomes apparent even more when Walter has made a mistake with the money of the family and Beneatha is only worried about her school money. I like that she is determined to be something in life but her selfish characteristics take away from anything positive that may remain in her. I also like that she is prideful of her heritage, something that would be hard for me to do when African-Americans were constantly ridiculed because of their skin color. How can you be proud of something that so many people dislike?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment