Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Raisin in the Sun- Blog 4

         Mama from A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry, is a women of great strength. She is quite a fighter with being the head of the family and being in charge of making sure everyone is where they need to be. I love her innocense about her children and the world around her. She was always quite sure that her son and her daughter would do the best they could for the family. Walter took advantage of this when he was given the money that he was supposed to use for the family and failed at taking care of it. She was manipulated several times, and time after time she would still trust her children to do the right thing. She was patient with them but she was also very naive. When talking to Beneatha about an African boy coming over, Mama says "I don't think I never met no African before." This ironic comment is somewhat humorous to me because they are all African American. Yes, maybe she has never met a pure African but she has definitely met an African American...SHE IS AFRICAN AMERICAN! I know that her meaning of it was that she had never met someone directly from Africa but it was still ironic that she would make such a remark. I thought it showed her naive side some but I still respect that woman for the way she held her family together.

No comments:

Post a Comment