Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Death Unit- Crossing the Bar

The poem, Crossing the Bar by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, approaches death with two sets of figures. He uses "Sunset and evening star," and "Twilight and evening bell," as his two figures. Death is a like a sunset. When our life is ending, things start to shut off. A sunset does the same thing! When you think about it, light (youth) is with us through the entire day illuminating us and slowly at 6-8 p.m., it begins to darken slowly (death). Death comes slow and gradual, like a sunset. Death is like a twilight as well. Twilight is darkness at the end of the day. Death is darkness at the end of your life. Death is an extension of twilight. Death is forever. The precise moment in these two sets of figures occurs "When I put out to sea," and "When I embark" [Tennyson, 886]. In addition, I relate well to this poem because of the wanted avoidance of sadness and farewells. I despise farewells because of the sadness they bring and I want those who mourn me to be happy that I was in their lives and to cherish the moments they spent with me. Everyone will eventually be together in heaven in the end, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment