Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Death Unit- Death, be not proud
The poem Death, be not proud by John Donne address death in a way that most people may not. "Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so" [Donne, 971]. Donne says that death is something that can't be proud because it is something that should not be feared. Death in itself is eternal sleep, something that should not be seen as scary. Most people are afraid of death and I know I cannot even bring myself to think of what it would be like to die. Donne says that since it is sleep and sleep is pleasurable, death must be even more pleasurable... (crazy and a little weird but alright). Death is a slave to fate, chance (accidental death), kings (who have the power of life and death), and desperate men. Donne is clearly seeing death's positives and not looking at how hard it would be on his family or how hard it would be not to see his family ever again. I guess if you're dead it wouldn't matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment