Sunday, July 15, 2012
The House of Mirth: Book 1 Chapter 12
During this part of The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, Lily has decided to keep peace with Mrs. Dorset. Mr. Dorset has invited Lily to go on a cruise with himself and Mrs. Dorset and Ned Silverston. At this point of the story I do not understand why Lily would want to befriend Mrs Dorset. Mrs. Dorset had an affair with Selden and ruined her chance with Percy Gryce. Lily had "dirt on Mrs. Dorset and was not even thinking to attempt to screw her over. Lily thought, "The enmity, however, had apparently expired in a renewal of friendliness between the two women" (Wharton , 104). This comes to show that Lily had forgiven Mrs. Dorset. In a way I admire her maturity, she was able to be the bigger person and forget everything. Mrs. Dorset has yet to find a way to ruin Lily again. I think she will find a way to do so and Lily will be sorry that she ever thought of them as friends. Mrs. Dorset has had the awful courage to have no fidelity towards her husband when she committed adultery with Selden. I think Ned Silverston will be next on her list of affairs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment