Sunday, July 15, 2012

The House of Mirth: Book 1 Chapter 15

To conclude Book 1 of The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, Lily has had terrible luck and now her aunt has kicked her out. What else could go wrong? Lily had been hoping that her aunt would be nice enough to help her deal with the money she owed to Gus but her aunt replies with "...beyond that I recognize no obligation to assume your debts" (Wharton 140). Lily has lied to her aunt at this point telling her that her debts are not of her dressmaker like her aunt insinuates, but of playing cards. Her aunt feels ashamed of Lily and sees no reason to help her. I believe that it was cruel of her aunt to not want to help her but I also see where she is coming from. It is not any one's fault but Lily's own because she chose to get easy money by Mr. Trenor. I feel sad for Lily because of her bad luck, but I will always believe things happen for a reason and Lily's attitude towards money and luxury had to be changed somehow. In this case, it was cruel but Lily will learn her lesson. I just hope that Lily finds a way to pay all her debts. Poor girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment