Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Othello- Shakespeare

In the Act I of Othello by Shakespeare, we see that Iago changes his way of addressing people by switching from prose to poetry. This reveals the change in character that Iago presents to the audience. The other characters are not aware of this. Iago uses prose when he speaks to the characters, showing to all his fake side. He seems to genuinely care about everyone and addresses everyone honestly. The reality is that he hates every person he has contact with and is using everyone to his advantages. "I hate the Moor, And it is thought abroad that 'twixt my sheets He's done my office" (I.iii.366-367) It is in this poetry soliloquy that Iago reveals his hatred for Othello. He seems to reveal himself and his evil plans only when he is by himself and only when he is speaking of his evil plans. He is a rather twister character who shows his double self through prose and poetry. He appears to be one way and is really another to someone different each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment