Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Short Story 1- Identity Unit

Everyday Use by Alice Walker is an extraordinary short story. My focus for this story is on Dee (Wangero). Dee was a completely selfish person. There was nothing about her that said, "I appreciate what I have and I am thankful for my mother." Her mother raised them with what seems like, no father. Dee was always embarrassed of what her mom could provide for her and told her that, "..no matter where we choose to live, she will manage to come see us. But she will never bring her friends" [Perrine, 177]. I felt bad for the mother of Dee. Dee seemed to always want everything. She wanted to look her best and her beauty helped her achieve this. Her mother felt bad for Dee's sister, Maggie, who was not as pretty as Dee. Also, there was a fire that happened when Dee and Maggie were smaller and Maggie was burnt from it, and Dee was untouched by the fire. Dee had all of the good luck in the family, but was completely out of her mind with how she treated her mother and sister. What really upset me was the way she treated her mom and sister when she came back to visit them. Why would she demand stuff from her mom when she isn't ever home? She can't expect everything from everyone. I am so glad their mom stood up for herself and Maggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment