"'Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had"[Fitzgerald, 1].
This opening quote from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald symbolizes the meaning of a big social part of life for me. In this world, people set themselves out to be "perfect", they try their best to fit in to what the media says is "in". I am guilty of this myself, as I am sure many of you are. I do not understand why taking a good look at people and finding things wrong with them makes others feel better about themselves. This media that we surround our lives with tell us what we can and can not do without us even knowing about it. They manipulate us in a way so secretive that we do not even become aware of how they render us to do certain things. We are told to wear certain clothes, buy certain brands, because if we don't...those people who do wear and buy these items have suddenly become better than us. What I find disturbing is that not all people have the sufficient money to be in those ranks. They do not have a chance in being equal to everyone else. Not just with buying and wearing certain brands, but in everything they do. We can not judge those people, because they do not have the advantages that most of us have had. This applies to every aspect of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment