Thursday, August 9, 2012
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald- 2
In chapter 1 of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Daisy opens up to us about how she feels about life in general. She implies that a girl can have more fun if she is beautiful and simplistic. Daisy herself often tries to act in such a way. She conforms to the social standard that every American had in the 1920's. With this it brings back my point of people thinking you're better off if you act, dress, and are a certain type of person. In this chapter Daisy shares her hopes for her daughter's future with the words, "I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool" [Fitzgerald, 17]. Daisy believes that the best way to live her life is to be beautiful like I said above. This way of thinking is quite ridiculous but it is a characteristic of Daisy's that unfolds in this first chapter. I wonder if this way of thinking will cause problems for her in the future. I feel that her husband Tom might be a little unappreciative of it since he has cruel white-supremacy thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment