Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Great Gatsby-12

In chapter 7 of The Great Gatsby, Daisy and Gatsby run over Myrtle, Tom's secret lover. This is complete irony that Fitzgerald is using. Which is amazing because it makes the story so much more interesting. This chapter was really fun to read and easy to understand. I was surprised at how Fitzgerald approached this part of the book. He made sure that some kind of tragic event was going to happen and that it would completely blow you away. When I first read that someone was "beaten", I expected Wilson to have beaten Tom because he found out about him and Myrtle, but it was actually Myrtle being killed by Daisy and Gatsby. Daisy had no idea, yet killed her "enemy" (she didn't really know Myrtle was her enemy though). Oh the irony. "Myrtle Wilson's body, wrapped in a blanket, and then in another blanket, as though she suffered from a chill in the hot night, lay on a work-table by the wall, and Tom, with his back to us, was bending over to it, motionless" [Fitzgerald, 138].

No comments:

Post a Comment