Thursday, August 9, 2012
The Great Gatsby- 14
In the last chapter of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Nick observes the differences between the Easterners and the Westerners. He realizes that "Tom and Gatsby, Daisy and Jordan and I, were all Westerners, and perhaps we possessed some deficiency in common which made us subtly unadaptable to Eastern life" [Fitzgerald, 176]. He realizes that the West is less exciting than the East but that the East lacks what the West has. I understand what Gatsby feels, because that is the exact way I feel about Mexico. I feel like Indiana lacks the crazy, freedom of Guadalajara, but Guadalajara lacks the tranquility and peace of Indiana. I love both places, as I am sure Nick loves the East and the West, but there will always be one place you love the most. And it will always be home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment